SELECTED RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Co-PI, Water quality effects of urban riparian vegetation restoration, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), East Texas Plant Material Center, $47,118.5, 1.2013-12.2014 (under review)
- Co-PI, Surface water pollution control with stormwater management rain gardens, Stephen F. Austin State University, $13,000, 9.2012-8.2013.
- Co-PI, Developing a Large Woody Debris Budget for the Lower San Antonio River, Texas, Sponsored by Texas Water Development Board, State, $50,000 (January 2011 - September 2013).
- PI, Geospatial Modeling of the impact of forest change on water resources in East Texas, 2011-2015, $179,965, funded by USDA, Forest Service
- PI, Watershed Modeling to study the impacts of forest biomass harvesting on water resources in East Texas, Stephen F. Austin State University, $22,384, 9.2010-8.2011.
- PI, Development and validation of a GIS algorithm to assess reservoir topography and volume, CRA, Inc. $1000, 9.2009-6.2010
- PI, Spatial analysis of the impact of land cover change on water resources in Southern Region, USFS, $10,000, 6.2009 – 12.2010
- PI, Development of an ArcGIS extension: Urban Watershed Management Assistance (UWMA), City of Cedar Falls, $10,000, 6.2009 – 1.2010
- Co-PI, Iowa LiDAR Web-Portal Project, Iowa DOT/DNR, $44,200, 03/2008-12/2009 http://geotree2.geog.uni.edu/lidar/
Web-based Watershed Management
Priority Index (WMPI), GeoTREE, UNI
- LiDAR data analysis tool
(GeoLiTE) (2007), GeoTREE, UNI http://www.geotree.uni.edu/GeoLITE.aspx
- Crowdsourcing with ArcGIS Online to collect the infestation of giant salvinia
SELECTED JOURNAL PAPERS
- McBroom, M.W., M. Ringer, and Y. Zhang. 2012. In stream woody debris and riparian forest characteristics in the Sabine River, USA. Southeastern Naturalist, under review
- Unger, D., I. Hung ,Y. Zhang, J. Parker, D. Kulhavy, and D. Coble, 2013, Accuracy assessment of perimeter and area calculations using consumer-grade Global Positioning Systems (GPS) units in southern forests. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, accepted.
- Zhang, Y., H. Li, M. McBroom and S. Bullard, 2013, A spatial analysis of the forestry industry in East Texas, Annals of GIS, 19(3): 187-193 DOI: 10.1080/19475683.2013.806357.
- McBroom, M.W., T.N. Thomas, and Y. Zhang. 2012. Soil erosion and surface water quality impacts of natural gas development in east Texas, USA. Water, 4(4):944-958 DOI: 10.3390/w4040944
- DeGroote P. J., S.R. Larson, Y. Zhang, R. Sugumaran, 2012. Application of geospatial technologies for understanding and predicting vector populations and vector-borne disease incidence, Geography Compass, 6(11): 645-659 DOI: 10.1111/gec3.12003
- Zhang, Y., R. Sugumaran, M. McBroom, J. DeGroote, R. Kauten, and
P. K. Barten, 2011. Web-based spatial decision support system and
watershed management with a case study. International Journal of Geosciences, 2: 195-203, DOI: 10.4236/ijg.2011.23021
- Zhang, Y., N.T. Woodward, D. Unger, I. Hung, B.P. Oswald, and K.W.
Farrish, 2011. A GIS tool for plant Spatial pattern analysis, Environmental
Modeling and Software, 26(10): 1251-1254, DOI: 10.1016/j.envsoft.2011.05.005
- Zhang, Y., J. DeGroote, C. Wolter, R. Sugumaran, 2009. Integration
of Modified Universal Soil Loss Equation (MUSLE) into a GIS Framework
to assess Soil Erosion Risk. Land Degradation & Development, 20:
84-91 DOI: 10.1002/ldr.893
- Zhang, Y., P. K. Barten, 2009. Watershed Forest Management Information
System (WFMIS), Environmental Modeling and Software, 24(4):569-575
Y., P. K. Barten, R. Sugumaran, J. DeGroote, 2008, Evaluating Forest
Harvesting to Reduce its Hydrologic Impact with a Spatial Decision
Support System. Applied GIS, 4(1): 1-1
- Zhang Y., M.W. McBroom, Grogan J., and P.R. Blackwell, 2013. A case study of crowdsourcing with ArcGIS Online for natureal resources management, The Forestry Source, 18(2):14-15
- Zhang Y., D. Unger, J. Grogan, B.P. Oswald, and J. Lanham. 2012. Using ArcPy to automate making thematic map books: two cases, Society of American Foresters, The Forestry Source, 17(12):10-11
- Zhang Y., M.W. McBroom, Grogan J., and I. Hung 2011. Snapping a pour point for watershed delineation in ArcGIS hydrologic analysis, Society of American Foresters, The Forestry Source, 16(9):12
- Zhang Y., Grogan J., I. Hung, and R. Sugumaran 2011. Soil erosion
modeling with the Modified Universal Soil Loss Equation, Society of
American Foresters, The Forestry Source, 16(2):12.
- Zhang Y., Grogan J., I. Hung, and R. Sugumaran 2010. GeoLiTE, an
ArcGIS Extension to Assist in LiDAR Data Processing, Society of American
Foresters, The Forestry Source, 15(11):14
- Grogan J., I. Hung, J. Raines, and Y. Zhang, 2010. Soil Viewer
Extension brings soil data to your GIS, Society of American Foresters,
The Forestry Source, 15(8):12
- Grogan J., I. Hung, and Y. Zhang, 2010. Collecting multiple point
features referenced to a single geographic position in ArcPad, Society
of American Foresters, The Forestry Source 15(4):13