The Ordinary Differential Equations Project—A Work in Progress
The Ordinary Differential Equation Project is an open source textbook designed to teach ordinary differential equations to undergraduates. This is a work in progress by Thomas W. Judson. The books strengths will include a wide range of exercises, both computational and theoretical, plus many nontrivial applications. Technology is integrated into the textbook using the open source system, Sage.
This textbook is licensed with a GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL). There is no cost to acquire this text, and you are under no obligation whatsoever to compensate or donate to the authors or publisher—for all intents and purposed The Ordinary Differential Equation Project is a free textbook. You make as many copies as you like, ensuring that the book will never go out-of-print. You may modify copies of the book for your own use—for example, you may wish to change to a prefered notation for certain objects or add a few new sections. There is a copyright on the book, and subsequently it is licensed with a GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), allowing the author to give you greater freedoms in how you use the text. The main caveat is that if you make modifications and then distribute a modified version, you are required to again apply the GFDL license to the result so that others may benefit from your modifications.
Although the The Ordinary Differential Equations Project is still in development, the book is now being used at several universities. For this reason, I have decided to begin declaring annual editions each fall with a snapshot editions whenever appropriate.
- Full Text, 2022 edition (HTML, July 30, 2022)
- Full Text, 2022 edition (PDF, 16.8 MB, July 30, 2022)
- Full Text, 2021 edition (HTML, August 21, 2021)
- Full Text, 2021 edition (PDF, 25.2 MB, August 21, 2021)
- Full Text, 2020 edition (HTML, August 1, 2020)
- Full Text, 2020 edition (PDF, 25.2 MB, August 1, 2020)
- Full Text, 2019 edition (HTML, August 21, 2019)
- Full Text, 2019 edition (PDF, 25.2 MB, August 21, 2019)
- Full Text, 2018 edition (HTML, August 19, 2018)
- Full Text, 2018 edition (PDF, 24.2 MB, August 19, 2018)